The City of Charlottetown is partnering with CN, Tree Canada and Canada 150 on an exciting, family friendly event to celebrate the "wild things" (plants and animals) that live in the city - especially our trees! Join us on Saturday, October 14 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the West Royalty Community Centre (1 Kirkdale Road).
There will be music by DAVID WOODSIDE from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., a free BBQ from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (thanks to the PARKDALE SHERWOOD LIONS CLUB) and the MUSIC MAN will entertain the crowd from 3:15 p.m. until 4 p.m. A fantastic variety of free, family friendly activities will run for the duration of the event from 1 to 4 p.m. Check out the details below:
- Visit the WELCOME TABLE for a list of activities, information sheets, give-aways and answers to any of your questions!
- Join the PEI WILD CHILD PROGRAM for some fun CRAFTING WITH NATURE. Decorate a nature bracelet with things from the woods and do some leaf printing.
- The PROVINCE OF PEI will have their TAXIDERMY DISPLAY on hand for you to see native animals from PEI, many of which we see in our city. They can answer all of your wildlife questions!
- Chat with members of the PEI WILDFOWL'S CARVING ASSOCIATION and see firsthand how they create intricate carvings of birds and other animals.
- Visit our PUMPKIN DECORATING table and create your own wild and wonderful pumpkin art (limit of 100 pumpkins; first come, first serve).
- Check out the FISH POND... see what you can catch! Then do some ORIGAMI FISH crafts. Ask the ELLEN'S CREEK WATERSHED GROUP about urban watersheds, brook trout, fishing and more.
- Decorate an INSECT HOTEL and create a comfy little habitat for beneficial insects! Having beneficial insects in your yard can help control invasive pests. Many insects, such as lady beetles, have preferred habitat which you can recreate in your insect hotel by using things such has layers of bark, pine needles, cones or leaves (limit of 75 hotels, one per family while supplies last).
- Celebrate trees with MACPHAIL WOODS ECOLOGICAL FORESTRY PROJECT by participating in the TREEMANIA GAMES. And get all TIED UP IN KNOTS! by learning the art of knot tying.
- Get up close and personal with some live BIRDS OF PREY! ISLAND FALCONRY will be there to introduce you to some of their majestic birds of prey and answer any of your questions.
- Visit the FACE PAINTING table and get a PAR-T-PERFECT painted face! Lots of fun nature designs to pick from.
- PLANT A TREE! We have 75 trees and shrubs to plant! "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb.
ART IN THE PARK led by the EAST COAST ART PARTY will take place on-site. Participants will be doing a tree themed painting. All participants are required to pre-register with the East Coast Art Party. There is a fee for this activity. Visit: https://pei.eastcoastartparty.com/ for details on registration and pricing.
A special THANK YOU to the participating organizations: Island Falconry, Macphail Woods Ecological Forestry Project, Ellen's Creek Watershed Group, PEI Wild Child Program, PEI Wildfowl's Carving Association, East Coast Art Party, Provincial Forest, Fish and Wildlife Department
To stay up-to-date on this and other events, join us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/CityofCharlottetown
Thank you to our funding partners: